Monday 15 February 2016

My Previous Blog- Reflections on SRL Process

Funny SRL story...
I have already developed a blog, last time using WordPress.   I came to do this blog when I was involved in a local literacy partnership.  As part of the program, we were testing the use of competency portfolios as a motivational tool for clients.  In our community, we were testing employer and labour market applications of portfolios.





I had already taken Portfolio Development as a university course which earned me many transfer courses and, because my portfolio was successful, I was also asked to speak at a conference on Prior Learning Assessment.  So, I had already clearly identified that competencies, but was asked to continue to participate in order to evaluate the potential of the course.

As I became more involved in this college course, I became distracted and frustrated.  I already knew what was being taught and I felt that I needed to focus on learning I had not yet demonstrated.  Clearly the professor did not understand SRL and, even though I tried several times to dialogue about the NEW learning I wanted to focus on, she was having none of it.

In the end, we agreed to disagree.  She stuck to her script and, given that my motivation was to learn something new rather than to get a good grade or achieve credit, I continued to customize my learning experience.  She was not happy, but I remained engaged and used the opportunity to learn about blogging and how to leverage this concept, which was new at the time, to help me understand how to guide clients to do the same.

I failed the class.  And, yippee!  I also learned something new and important to me.

I love that I had the opportunity to live this SRL example.  What is great about it is how I can apply this deeper learning as I talk with my daughters (10 yrs and 12 yrs) about their goals and ambitions in academics.

Taking risks, adjusting my plan, having my motivations being fuelled by intrinsic motivation rather than teacher's validation.  These are all things that I have come to know as

SRL

No comments:

Post a Comment