Tuesday 28 February 2017

EDUCATED OUT OF CREATIVITY?

I needed a bit of inspiration this week and so I watched a couple of Ted Talks featuring Ken Robinson.  

The first was about how the history of education has come to the current system having been conceived in different financial and cultural circumstances (Robinson).  His animated talk called, "Changing Education Paradigms" showed how the current system is based on a factory model, conceived in a "production line mentality".  I think what he was saying is that that model may have been right for those times, but that times change and it is time for a new model for a new global and changing economy.

Robinson when on to explain who education should be aesthetic, engaging the mind in a manner that is fully present and fully alive (Robinson).  However, in the age of an ADHD epidemic (or as he calls it a "fictitious epidemic), we are medicating to subdue, rather than stimulate minds. This is so sad, given that, as Robinson states, we are living in a time of the greatest stimulation every known.

The second Ted Talk was another featuring Robinson, called "Do Schools Kill Creativity".  I really liked this talk because it highlighted how children begin school with massive creativity and divergent thinking, but then become progressively less able to tap into these internal forces.  

Robinson hypothesized that we are "educating children out of creativity" (Robinson).  Some of the reasons for this trend were lack of acceptance of being wrong or taking chances.  He also noted that teachers need to see the creativity and foster it, rather than forcing the creativity out in favour of meeting standardized guidelines.

My reflection on both Ted Talks lead to more questions (as always!):

How do we teach the curriculum expected while fostering creativity?
How do we undo the knots created in the creative flow in order to inspire divergent thinking?
How do we deal with the benchmarks of standardized testing in order to show that divergent thinking does not come at the cost of the academic achievement that needs to be demonstrated?

RESOURCES:

Robinson, Ken.  (2010).  Changing education paradigms.  Ted Talk.  https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_changing_education_paradigms

Robinson, Ken.  (2006).  Do schools kill creativity?  Ted Talk.
https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity


3 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy,

    I have watched Ken Robinson's video on Schools 'Killing' Creativity previously and thought it was very interesting as well. As always, it is hard for classroom teachers to fit in everything. I had a conversation with one of my student's parents recently about his daughters creative development. I tried to widen his perspective on creativity and highlight how it can be developed and applied across all subjects, not just the arts. I also noted to him that creativity is a very personal characteristic and requires the individual to engage their imagination with an open-mind. This requires effort. Finding ways to bring out student effort should be a joint collaboration between all stakeholders in the student’s life and not solely fall on the teacher to develop. Consistent and effective modelling, questioning, and discussion I think are key contributors to creative development both within and beyond the school walls.

    Cheers,
    Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy,
    I had the great opportunity to watch Sir Ken Robinson deliver a talk at the U of S when I was an undergrad student. This was one of the first opportunities I had where I was invited to bend my thinking and question my understanding of the school system.

    Recently, I found another video of his called "Can we Teach Creativity?" and it was really enlightening. I've compiled the link into my portfolio if you'd like to watch it.

    In this video, he outlines his definition of creativity and how we might extend our understanding of teaching and learning to include creative processes.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - forgot to attach my name to the response:)

      Darla Faye

      Delete