Tuesday 17 January 2017

GDPI 811-MODULE 5: MY INQUIRY

I was really wrestling over which inquiry I should explore in this course, when I came to a moment of clarity in one of my readings.  This thought lead me to a professional inquiry that is topical in my professional life.

THE QUESTION:

What innovations and adaptations to traditional delivery methods will be helpful for Career Educators to use in helping students to navigate career development, despite the presence of current economic and labour market uncertainty?

The reading was from:
  • Mueller, J.S., Melwai, S., & Goncalo, J.A. (2012). The bias against creativity: Why people desire but reject creative ideas. Psychological Science, 23(1), 13–17. doi: 10.1177/0956797611421018


What I realized is that I see apathy in my students as they attempt to plan careers and engage in employment and yet they are full of potential.  They have novel ideas and often an abundance of creativity, but fail to put them into practical application beyond the classroom and into the real world.  And so, they live in the status quo.  But why?  It doesn't make sense.

In this reading it became clear.  There is too much uncertainty.  Even for those who value creativity, they won't apply it because their need to reduce uncertainty is blocking them from seeing, let alone from exploring, creative solutions.   I believe that the apathy, particularly in today's youth, stems from the overwhelming uncertainty that they face.

Consult the "Magic 8-Ball" and it gives the same response, repeatedly:
Will I get a job if I go to university....it is uncertain
Will the job I want allow me to have the lifestyle I wish.... it is uncertain
Will my career be obsolete in the next decade... it is uncertain
Are there interests that I have that could point in the right direction... it is uncertain

I plan to look into this, as well as the questions of my classmates, in order to have a greater sense of certainty that my efforts in helping others with career development will incorporate useful historical and philosophical perspectives.




No comments:

Post a Comment